In order to use my RPI on an old VGA monitor, I bought one of these .
Connection is straight forward but when booting the RPI after a vanilla install of Raspian the display didn't register and I couldn't get to the terminal.
Externally Edit Config.txt
The following assumes a vanilla flash of the SD card with no display working and no means of remote connection to the RPi [SSH or rdesktop]
- Power down the RPi
- Remove the SD card from your RPi
- Install the card in your SD card reader on another computer (this can be the same computer you used to flash the card in the first place).
- Mount the sd card, If using a graphical desktop the SD card should appear as a link on the Desktop or in the filemanager (windows)
- Open the file 'config.txt' in your favourite editor, its in the root of the smaller partition.
- uncomment #hdmi_force_hotplug=1 by removing the '#' at the beginning of the line
- save the text file
- unmount the SD card
- reinstall in the RPi and power the RPi. You should get the terminal screen.
Edit via SSH
- Connect to your RPi via your prefered remote access method.
- edit 'config.txt' found at
/config.txtas described above.